Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Buddha Smiles At Anger

Here's some great food for thought, a story of how the Buddha would deal with angry trolls and hateful people:

One day Buddha was walking through a village. A very angry and rude young man came up and began insulting him. "You have no right teaching others," he shouted. "You are as stupid as everyone else. You are nothing but a fake."

Buddha was not upset by these insults. Instead he asked the young man "Tell me, if you buy a gift for someone, and that person does not take it, to whom does the gift belong?"

The man was surprised to be asked such a strange question and answered, "It would belong to me, because I bought the gift."

The Buddha smiled and said, "That is correct. And it is exactly the same with your anger. If you become angry with me and I do not get insulted, then the anger falls back on you. You are then the only one who becomes unhappy, not me. All you have done is hurt yourself."

"If you want to stop hurting yourself, you must get rid of your anger and become loving instead. When you hate others, you yourself become unhappy. But when you love others, everyone is happy."

I'm not sure of the origin of the story, and it would certainly be easy to replace Buddha with Jesus, the Great Spirit, or whatever fits your personal path.  The spiritual lesson is a good one either way.  Love life and the people you care for, it gets better everyday!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful story. It is one I shall tell and pass on to the grand-kids.

    ReplyDelete